Joanne Shaw Taylor, the best modern blues-rock guitarist to establish themselves this decade, released her fifth studio album Wild today. After several listens today, I’m hooked.
Seeing a band of Von Hertzen Brothers’ quality and experience up close in a small venue was a rare opportunity and a treat for any live music fan. For VHB fans particularly, this was a great opportunity to catch them before they headline larger UK venues, which is where the band deserve to be.
Here’s a Spotify playlist of my favourite 10 songs released this year:
- Dynamo – Johnny Marr
- Careless – Royal Blood
- Ain’t Got No – Black State Highway
- The Dirty Truth – Joanne Shaw Taylor
- Eurydice – The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
- Never Give All Your Heart – Jo Bonamassa
- Rockabilly Blues – Brian Setzer
- Slingshot – Left Lane Cruiser
- Electric Man – Rival Sons
- World On Fire – Slash
At the end of 2012 I made a resolution to play guitar in a band regularly by the end of 2013. Four months on and things are coming together. I’ve played two gigs with Rhino & The Ranters and I’m starting a blues rock band with Alistair Jones. After two Ranters gigs and rehearsing with Alistair at Highbury Studios, I’ve found that I need a better guitar amp.