Here’s a Spotify playlist of my favourite 10 songs released this year:
- Dynamo – Johnny Marr
- Careless – Royal Blood
- Ain’t Got No – Black State Highway
- The Dirty Truth – Joanne Shaw Taylor
- Eurydice – The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
- Never Give All Your Heart – Jo Bonamassa
- Rockabilly Blues – Brian Setzer
- Slingshot – Left Lane Cruiser
- Electric Man – Rival Sons
- World On Fire – Slash
Now is the season of top 10 lists and end-of-year reviews. This is my contribution to the interweb’s melting pot of unsought opinion. 2012 has been a year of rock for me. Old names resurfaced with surprising quality while plenty of new blood made great rock records and toured. In no particular order, here’s a rundown of my favourite albums released in 2012 plus a standout track from each album (shared on Spotify).
I’ve made a Spotify playlist of 10 blues tracks I’ve enjoyed listening to this summer:
- New Horizon by Royal Southern Brotherhood
- Saw My Mama Cryin by Walter Trout
- Jump That Train by Joanne Shaw Taylor
- Let Me In by Gráinne Duffy
- Somewhere Trouble Don’t Go by Joe Bonamassa
- Nickel Soul by WT Feaster Band
- Long Distance Lover by Cherry Lee Mewis
- What’s My Name by Henrik Freischlader
- Gotta Get Back Up by Laurence Jones
- Freedom at 21 by Jack White
Read on for a rundown of each artist and track.
Inspired by Richard Williams‘s article Etta James: 10 classic performances in The Guardian, I checked out some of Etta’s songs. I’d discovered her music previously via the northern soul angle though I wasn’t familiar with her work in the country, Memphis or southern soul styles. So, Richard’s selection was refreshing and brought some new sounds to my ears, which is always welcome. Good for the soul you might say.
Here’s my DJ set list from the BrumTwestival at Poppy Red in Birmingham, 25 March 2010. BrumTwestival was part of the global Twestival, a charity event raising money for Concern and the work they do to bring education to the world’s poorest people.